LEGACY uses tennis as a vehicle in preparing young people to be successful not only on court, but in their communities, and the greater world. The USTA player development program delivers confidence, determination, engagement, professionalism, resilience, respect, teamwork, and toughness, and continuing the vision of Arthur Ashe, LEGACY students gain the leadership and life skills necessary to open doors to bright futures.
- Nutrition education based on the USDA “Choose My Plate” guidelines
- Character education from Character Integrity Trust Relationships Success (CITRS)
- STEM Thru Sport and USTA STEAM curriculum
- Read and Rise in Partnership with the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Homework help
USTA Essay Program
The NJTL USTA Essay Contest is a widely acclaimed educational tool. NJTL participants are asked to write essays answering a thought-provoking question requiring research and analysis. Thousands of entries are received each year and 10 national winners (one boy and one girl from each age group) receive an all-expense-paid trip to New York City to participate in Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day at the US Open and to accept their awards at the NJTL Essay Awards Luncheon. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and we are always amazed at the thoughtfulness of each and every student.
Legacy’s Guidance Program
Legacy’s Guidance Program works with the Rising Stars–players from our community programs who have been identified as talented and also meet certain requirements to receive additional programming at Legacy.
The Program has the following four major components:
– Pipeline to High School: Legacy Youth Tennis and Education is forming relationships with principals at the highest performing high schools in the greater Philadelphia area. As a result, Rising Stars from Philadelphia neighborhood schools will have increased access to quality education.
– Tutoring: One to one mentoring and academic tutoring by college student-athletes ensures that our Rising stars will have the skills necessary to succeed in high school.
– Study and Test Taking Skills Workshops: Monthly workshops on topics ranging from how to take notes to managing test anxiety help our Rising Stars function at their highest potential in school.
– Info Sessions for Parents on Recruitment, Financial Aid, Tournament Play: Parents and caregivers are a vital component of the Legacy Guidance Program. Guest speakers and staff offer information sessions to assist our Rising Stars journey from beginning tennis to tournaments to college recruitment and all stages in between.