The Goodstein Junior Leaders program was founded in 1998 with a gift from the Harvey Goodstein Charitable Foundation and has become Legacy Youth Tennis and Education’s marquee off-court program. Targeted to high school-aged children, this leadership development program is based on a service-learning model. Goodstein Junior Leaders identify social needs and support causes in the Philadelphia region with volunteer labor and fundraising.
The year-long program combines a variety of hands-on activities including: tennis (for recreational and competitive players), leadership exercises and workshops, meaningful service-learning projects, organizational governance and decision making opportunities, travel opportunities, fund development, and summer employment positions. Service-learning project partners include the Ronald McDonald House, Israel Tennis Centers, Shoebox Recycling and more than a dozen others. The group averages more than 3,000 volunteer hours as a team per year and since 2009 has raised over $150,000 to fund their own programming.
For more information about the Goodstein Junior Leadership program please contact the Front Desk at info@LegacyYTE.org.
Below is the Goodstein Junior Leaders weekly schedule
- Friday 5:00-8:00pm– Team Dinner, Meeting and Tennis
- Saturday Morning- Bi-weekly Volunteer Trip (email details for details)
- Participants must be high school students. (Exceptions can be made for mature and dedicated young people at least 12 years of age. A meeting with applicant’s parents and/or guardian is required.
- Participants must be enrolled in a Legacy Youth Tennis and Education clinic or program at the Center or at a neighborhood-based site with the year of enrollment. Programs include all Center-based clinics, neighborhood programs and high school internships. Enrollment begins September 1st each year.
- Participants must submit a completed Goodstein Junior Leadership program application signed by players and parents