Building Bridges: The Philadelphia Israel Tennis Exchange is based on the idea that young tennis players from Legacy Youth Tennis and Education and Israel Tennis Centers need to get to know peers from other nations to have a better understanding of themselves, the world and their potential impact on communities at home and abroad.
Team Legacy will travel to Israel July 6th for a ten day cultural exchange filled with home stays, tours of Akko, Nazereth, Masada, Yad Vashem and stays in Jerusalem, the Negev desert and Tel Aviv.
Team ITC will travel to Philadelphia August 5th for a ten day tennis and cultural exchange with homestays, tours of historic Philadelphia, plus visits to the White House in Washington D.C. and visits to the Israeli Embassy, and Google offices in NYC.
- Build understanding and awareness between young people from different cultures
- Improve the participating young people’s communication skills
- Use online technology to build positive long-lasting friendships (virtual pen pal sessions have been conducted over the past four months to prepare for travel)
- Offer meaningful international travel experience to participating young people
Budget and Fundraising
The total cost for both July and August exchanges is $42,000. The team has already raised $26,500 over the last year through hosting events and collecting individual sponsorships. That leaves a $15,600 funding gap. And we need your help!
“During the work leading up to travel dates it has been wonderful seeing the kids get to know each other, smile, laugh together, talk about each others home lives, and get ready to play each other this summer. This is what it’s all about, bringing young people together to build understanding and peace through tennis.”
– Ben Hirsh, Manager of Youth Leadership and Volunteer Engagement at Legacy
Please support the Building Bridges team today with an online donation below: